Extending a Philips Ambilight with Philips hue LED strips behind KALLAX cabinets (+ 2 hue plays)
A Philips Ambilight can connect to Philips Hue lights.
We put down 4 KALLAXes next to one another (2×2 kallax units), but it always felt like a dark place so when I wanted to add lights to the KALLAX I picked Philips Hue LED strips, this way I could sync them to the Ambilights of the Philips TV
On this page
- 3D Printed parts (optional, but super handy) I have a Prusa mini, so I printed them myself.
- Wood slats 2 fit 2 LED light strips onto.
- Spray can (black for me since my KALLAX is black)
- 2 Philips hue LED strips
- 2 Philips hue PLAY’s on the back of the speakers
- I’ve since installed a 3rd Hue play for the dark spot behind the plant on the right
The reason I went for 2 LED strips, is to allow a “left and right” on my LED strip, this way the right side of the TV can match the colour of the right side of the Ambilight.
⚠ If you buy 1 longer led strip you will miss out on this effect.
3D printed parts
Designed these in Fusion 360, and draft printed them.
Note: these were designed for the wood slats I purchased in the local DYI store, so they won’t probably fit yours, but with the source files you can quickly adjust them.
Printing and assembly
NOTE: Only spray the part that’s towards the KALLAX, you want the other side to be reflective to increase the light, I did not opt to spray white/reflective paint on the wall facing part, since I was already satisfied with the results
Once set up you can hook up your Hue’s to the Ambilights and enjoy!